Can I appeal against my rating assessment?

If you think your rateable value is wrong, you can apply to the Valuation Officer to change it. To do this, you will need to make a 'proposal' to alter the rating list.

Forms for this purpose are available from your local Valuation Office:

Valuation Office Agency
Ground Floor
Ferrers House
Castle Meadow Road

Tel : 03000 501 501

If the Valuation Officer agrees with your proposal, or if you can reach agreement on another figure, the value will be changed. If he does not agree, or the matter is still unresolved after 3 months, the dispute will be passed to the local Valuation Tribunal as a formal appeal.

However, in many cases it may still be possible for an agreement to be reached before the tribunal hearing itself, as discussions can continue.

See the link and check your summary valuation which will show how your present assessment has been valued

You have to pay rates on the rateable value shown in the rating list even if you have appealed against it. But provided you have kept up with your payments, any overpayment you are found to have made when an appeal is settled will be refunded with any interest applicable.

Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoTown Hall, Market Place, Ripley, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 841444 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more