Rural Rate Relief
This scheme allows for mandatory relief of 50% to be granted to all of the following classes of business, provided that they are situated within a qualifying rural settlement and meet the following criteria:
The types of business that qualify for this relief are:
- Post Office - the only such business in the rural settlement, and with a rateable value of £8,500 or less.
- General Store - the only such business in the rural settlement, and with a rateable value of £8,500 or less.
- Public House - the only such business in the rural settlement, and with a rateable value of £12,500 or less.
- Petrol Filling Station - the only such business in the rural settlement, and with a rateable value of £12,500 or less.
- Rural Food Shop - a business consisting wholly or mainly of the sale by retail of food for human consumption (excluding confectionery and the supply of food for consumption on the premises, or hot food for consumption off the premises), and with a rateable value of £8,500 or less.
Authorities also have discretion to remit all or part of the rate bill of other businesses in a rural settlement which have a rateable value of £16,500 or less, if it is satisfied that the property is used for a purpose which benefits the local community.
General Stores are defined as a business whose trade is wholly or mainly the retail sale of food for human consumption (excluding confectionery) and household goods.
Rural settlements are defined in various statutory instruments and also by map reference. They must have a population of no more than 3,000 residents. To see a list of the rural settlements that have been defined by Amber Valley Borough Council contact the Business Rates Section on 01773 841444.
If part of your property is not being used and is completely empty for a short time, you can apply for Section 44a Relief. In these circumstances the Authority may consider giving you relief to reduce the amount you have to pay. From the 1st April 2010 because of the changes to empty property relief this relief will only be available for 3 months for a non industrial property (unless it is specifically exempted from unoccupied rating by Government Order) or 6 months for an industrial premises eg factories or warehouses (unless it is specifically exempted from unoccupied rating by Government Order).
Apply for Rural Rate Relief online by completing our online submission form.
The Council, at its discretion, can award up to 100% relief from Business Rates to ratepayers who are experiencing hardship. However, as the Council funds a significant part of this relief itself, cases will only be considered if they are in the interest of the community.
In order for the Council to consider granting hardship relief, an application must be made in writing, including copies of fully audited accounts.
How the Council will assess your application:
- Each case will be considered on its own merits.
- Reduction of rates on the grounds of hardship is the exception rather than the rule.
- The test of 'hardship' is not confined strictly to financial hardship - all relevant factors affecting the ability of a business to meet its liability for rates are taken into account.
- The 'interests' of the Council Tax payers in the area may go wider than direct financial interests. For example the case for a reduction of rates may still outweigh the costs to the Council Tax payer if employment prospects in the area would be worsened by a company going out of business, or the amenities of the area might be reduced if it went out of business even though granting rate relief would have an adverse effect on the financial interests of Council Tax payers.
When making your written application make sure you enclose all the documents we need.
If your business is open:
- Your current and previous two years audited accounts
- Your last three months bank statements
- Details of your income and expenditure over the last 3 months if not covered in your audited accounts
If your business is closed:
- Your last three months bank statements
- Copies of your pay slips
Return your completed application together with a covering letter to the Business Rates Section Town Hall, Ripley, Derbyshire DE5 3BT
If you wish to discuss your application before submission please contact us on 01773 841444 or email email@example.com