Club Gaming Machine Permit

Under the Gambling Act 2005 ("the Act") there are three types of Club recognised:

Members' clubs

These must have at least 25 members and be established or conducted mainly for purposes other than gaming. The Club should not be established to make a commercial profit and should be controlled by its members. Examples include most sports clubs, working men's clubs, branches of the Royal British Legion and politically affiliated clubs. Although members clubs should generally be established or conducted for purposes other than gaming, regulations may permit certain types of gaming clubs.

Commercial clubs

These have the same characteristics as members clubs, except that they are established to make a profit. An example of such a club would be a snooker club. Certain bridge and whist clubs may operate as commercial clubs if they are established to make a profit.

Miners' welfare institutes

The definition of this class of club has changed to reflect social and economic changes since their establishment. These are associations established for recreational or social purposes. They are managed by a charitable trust which has received funds from one of a number of mining organisations.

Under Section 271 of the Act, we may grant members' clubs and miners' welfare institutes (but not commercial clubs) Club Gaming Permits which authorise those establishments to provide gaming machines, equal chance gaming and games of chance as prescribed in regulations. This is in addition to the exempt gaming authorisation under Section 269 of the Act. Club Gaming Permits allow the provision of no more than three gaming machines. These may be from categories B3A, B4, C or D The Club is permitted to choose the combination of machines on its premises. If a Club does not wish to have the full range of facilities permitted by a Club Gaming Permit or if they are a commercial club not permitted to provide non-machine gaming (other than exempt gaming under Section 269 of the Act), they may apply to the Authority for a Club Machine Permit under Section 273 of the Act. This authorises the holder to have up to three gaming machines of categories B3A (this category is not available for commercial clubs) B4, C and D. Club Gaming Permits replace the permissions provided by Part II registration under the 1968 Gaming Act, whilst Club Machine Permits replace the permissions provided by Part III registration under the 1968 Act.

Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Licensing Section, Town Hall, Market Place, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 570222 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more