The Cabinet is responsible for guiding the Council in the formulation of its corporate plan of objectives and key priorities. Within the policy framework, budgets and major plans approved by the Full Council, the Cabinet has responsibility for the implementation of the Council's key goals and objectives.
Within the agreed framework the Cabinet has delegated powers to deal with the following functions and may subsequently delegate to an officer(s), subject to any limits it determines to be necessary:-
(a) Local Choice functions:-
1. Any function under a local Act (such as the Derbyshire Act, 1981) other than a function specified or referred to in Regulation 2 or Schedule 1 of the Local Authorities (Functions and Responsibilities) (England) Regulations 2000.
2. Any function relating to contaminated land.
3. The discharge of any function relating to the control of pollution or the management of air quality.
4. The service of an abatement notice in respect of a statutory nuisance.
5. The passing of a resolution that Schedule 2 to the Noise and Statutory Nuisance Act 1993 should apply in the authority's area.
6. The inspection of the authority's area to detect any statutory nuisance.
7. The investigation of any complaint as to the existence of a statutory nuisance.
8. The obtaining of information under section 330 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 as to interests in land in respect of actions which are preliminary to the exercise of powers to make compulsory purchase orders.
9. The obtaining of particulars of persons interested in land under section 16 of the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1976 in respect of actions which are preliminary to the exercise of powers to make compulsory purchase orders.
10. For functions which are the responsibility of the Cabinet, the appointment of any individual -
(a) to any office other than an office in which he is employed by the authority
(b) to any body other than:-
(i) the authority
(ii) a joint committee of two or more authorities; or
(c) to any committee or sub-committee of such a body;
and the revocation of any such appointment
(b) Cabinet and Cabinet Portfolio Responsibilities
Cabinet Members have responsibility for monitoring performance within each of their portfolios and have overall responsibility for monitoring the achievement of the Strategic Objectives allocated to them.