If you intend to demolish the whole or part of a building then you will need to inform Building Control.

What should I do?

  • We should receive notification no later than 6 weeks before demolition starts.
  • Notification can be provided by letter, fax and email or by submitting a Demolition Notice (Section 80 Form) which can be found on the Building Control Documents page. The notification should include a site plan in order to identify the buildings.

What happens now?

Once we have received notification we will send you a letter outlining requirements that will need to be satisfied before and during the demolition.

These requirements could include:

  • To shore up the adjacent building/buildings.
  • To weather proof the adjacent building exposed by the demolition.
  • To repair and make good any damage to adjoining properties caused by the demolition or by the negligent act or omission of any person engaged in it.
  • To remove all material and rubbish resulting from the demolition and clearance of the site.
  • To disconnect all sewer and or drains in or under the building.
  • To remove any asbestos in accordance with current legislation


Application Form to demolish a building - Building Act 1984

The planning situation in respect of demolitions has recently changed due to a Court of Appeal ruling. This now means that the demolition of virtually all buildings will require planning permission or prior approval; before the ruling only dwellings were involved. The Government may issue new legislation in the future but for now we recommend you also contact the planning department in advance of any work starting on site.

Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Town Hall, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 841521 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more