Radon Affected Areas

Radon is a colourless, odourless radioactive gas.  It is formed by the radioactive decay of the small amounts of uranium that occur naturally in all rocks and soils.

When an application for an extension, conversion or a new dwelling is submitted to Building Control at Amber Valley Borough Council we will check to see if the development needs to be considered for protection against Radon Gas.

The Health Protection Agency defines radon affected areas as those with 1% probability or more of a home having radon above the action level. The Health Protection Agency recommends that people in affected areas should test their homes for radon. Our searches are based on the maps contained in Building Research Establishment Report 211:2007, Guidance on Protective Measures for New Buildings. Please use the My Property function on our website to see these results.

Radon and house purchase

Even in radon-affected areas most homes do not have a radon problem. Please visit www.ukradon.org to find out the probability that a particular property is above the Action Level for radon. The only way to find out whether it is in fact above or below the Action Level is to carry out a radon assessment.

If you are buying a home, ask whether it has been tested for radon. Sellers are not legally obliged to volunteer the information that they know, but if you ask for it they must give it. Ask to see a letter giving the result.

If, as will be found in most cases, the result is under the action level for radon, 200 Bq m-3, the home does not need to have the radon level reduced.

Should the result be over 200 Bq m-3, then there is a problem. In homes that do have a radon problem, the radon level can usually be reduced with simple, effective and reasonably inexpensive measures.

Details about Radon when buying or selling your home are available on the Building Research Establishment website.

Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoHealth Protection Agency, Centre for Radiation, Chemical and Environmental Hazards, Chilton, Didcot, Oxon, OX11 0RQ
address logo01235 822622 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoradon@hpa.org.uk
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more