In common with many other Authorities, Amber Valley does not trap or destroy foxes. Private pest control companies may deal with a problem but this can be expensive as the householder would be responsible for the costs of killing and disposing of the animal. There is little evidence that killing or removing a fox will prevent the problem from recurring.
As well as denying foxes a source of food and shelter you could use an appropriate animal repellent to discourage the animal. Success with repellents requires persistence as foxes will not vacate their territory easily. Constant re-application of the repellent may be required often for weeks before the foxes give up and move on.
For a list of approved pest controllers visit the British Pest Control Association website.
Alternatively contact the following agencies:
The Fox Project is an information centre for practical advice on fox deterrence.
- Deterrence advice line: 0892 826222
- Main number: 01892 824111
The National Fox Welfare Society can provide information on deterrence.
- Main number: 01933 411996
There are also companies on the internet who can give advice re proofing, deterrents etc. and products available for purchase that may help.
A few precautions which may help the situation
- Do not leave ground floor windows, French windows or those immediately above a flat roof open particularly after dark.
- Store household refuse in the correct receptacles with secure tops.
- Don't leave pet food out in the garden or on a balcony.
- Clear overgrown gardens which could provide a resting area.
- Make sure there is no food available on compost heaps.
It is illegal to trap foxes inside their den and to put out poison or poisoned food for foxes.