Effective from January 1st, 2015 new street naming and numbering statutory and discretionary fees will apply.
Amber Valley Borough Council has a statutory power to name and number streets and to approve and register official property addresses in Amber Valley. The Council carries out these functions under the provisions of the Public Health Act 1925 sections 17 -19 - Public Health Act 1925.
Reconciliation of address anomalies will be free of charge.
Amber Valley Borough Council has a number of responsibilities for street naming and property numbering, including:
- Assigning official street names to new and existing streets
- Assigning official property numbers to all new and existing properties
- Changes to and allocation of property names
- Re-naming of streets and renumbering of properties
- The erection, replacement and maintenance of street nameplates
- Ensuring that the Royal Mail are notified of new or amended property addresses to enable them to assign Post Codes
- Ensuring that the Emergency and Essential Services are notified of all new properties and streets.
If you don’t contact us to facilitate address creation/changes the following may occur:
- You will not have an official address or postcode. When your property goes through the official process it may be given a different address and Postcode than you are currently using
- You may have difficulty receiving mail
- You may have problems when buying goods or services such as utilities and telecommunications
- The emergency services may have difficulty locating you.
- You may have problems accessing Council services such as Refuse Collection, and Electoral Registration.
Postcode enquiries (except in the case of newly built or divided properties) should be addressed to the Royal Mail - please see the Royal Mail website (www.royalmail.co.uk).
If you are not the freeholder of the property concerned, you must seek the owner's permission. This must be in writing. You need to forward a copy to the Street Naming & Numbering Team before any changes can take place.
Our service standard
Following receipt of your application we will:
- inform you within 2 days if the proposal is not consistent with our policy and invite you to consider alternative suggestions
- consult with Royal Mail and Ward Councilor’s’, where appropriate, on your proposal and inform you of the outcome within 14 days
If you would like to discuss your proposals before making an application, please contact the gazeteer manager on: 01773 841537 or Email email@example.com
On line Street Naming and Numbering Request Form