Rented Housing

Private Renting

If you are looking to rent privately then there are agents that specialise in renting out properties for landlords. Many agents will specialise in different types of housing, so if you are after a home in a specific location you may need to contact a number of agents to find what you are after. Ask about all the fees and charges that they charge. The Government is likely to introduce controls over fees being charged, but this is not in place yet.

We would encourage you to get references as this will provide reassurance to the prospective landlord. Remember in some areas there could be strong competition for properties and a history of rent arrears will not be in your favour.

The Government has produced information setting out rights and responsibilities for tenants. ( We advise you to inspect the property thoroughly and don't be frightened of asking searching questions about recent repairs. Check for smoke alarms and that the property is in a reasonable state of repair.  The Landlord should provide a Gas Certificate for any appliances before the tenancy starts and please ask to see the Energy Performance Certificate as this will give you a guide as to how much the property will cost to heat. As energy prices increase this will be increasingly important and something you need to factor in to your weekly and monthly housing costs.

The Government has produced an updated guide for tenants on how to rent safely. View the guide.

The Council is working hard to seek to ensure that our enforcement focusses on those properties that are most likely to put the tenant's life, health and wellbeing at risk. This means that we can't guarantee responding to complaints immediately as we are introducing a response based on the risks.

The Deregulation Act 2015 ( seeks to prevent retaliatory eviction where a landlord seeks to evict a tenant in response to them making a complaint. The guidance note provides information to see if you think this applies to you. The Council will act to prevent retaliatory eviction and works with a number of organisations to help you to maintain your home

Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Town Hall, Market Place, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 841335 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more