Local authorities' strategic housing role comprises the following:
- assess and plan for current and future housing needs of the local population across all tenures
- make the best use of existing housing stock
- plan and facilitate new supply
- plan and commission housing support services linking homes and housing support services
- work in partnership to secure effective housing and neighbourhood management
Although Amber Valley Borough Council no longer owns any council housing it retains a strategic housing function as described.