What We Do

FAQ Icon

What We Do 

We have put together a FAQ section with some of our most popular queries that we are asked, with so much information available on our website it may be hard to find what you're looking for.  Browse through our FAQ section below to find your answer, let us know if we're missing anything!


My wheelie bin has broken, how can I order a new one?

Contact our Refuse and Recycling Team on 01773 841326 or complete our Online Request Form and hopefully we can either fix it or replace it!

My recycling bin has gone missing, where can I get a new one?

If your bin / green bag has broken or gone missing, contact our Refuse and Recycling Team on 01773 841326 or complete our Online Request Form and we'll send you a new one!

I want to make a planning application, what do I do?

You can make an application online via our Planning Portal, alternatively you can view our guidance notes and download a PDF form here

How can I view a planning application that is on my street?

You can view planning applications online. You can search a variety of ways including by reference number, location, or keywords.

I want to report an incident of dog fouling near my street, who do I contact?

You report it to our Environmental Services team on 01773 841335 or tell us the details by completing our online form.

I have witnessed a member of public fly-tipping some rubbish in town, who do I report fly-tipping to?

Fly-tipping is a criminal offence, contact us on 01773 841335 and we'll take the details, or alternatively complete our online form and we'll ensure it's followed up.

A member of the public is posting flyers around town, who can I report fly-posting to?

Fly-posting is a criminal offence, contact us on 01773 841335 and we'll take the details, alternatively complete our online form.

I visited a restaurant last night and have a food safety complaint?

Tell our Food Safety Team by completing our online form or contact us on 01773 841308 and we'll take the details.

I have an infestation of ants, can you help me treat them?

Our Pest Control team can help, contact them on 01773 841335. We also have a range of advice sheets available online and you can request a visit by a Pest Control Officer by completing our online form.

My neighbour has a high hedge that is overgrowing, who can I report this to?

You'll need to contact our Planning Team to give them the details, you can phone them on 01773 841571 or complete our online enforcement form and we'll look into.

I want to apply for Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit, what do I need to do?

You can check your benefit entitlement by using our online calculator, once you want to make a claim you will need to complete a Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit application form and return this to us. Alternatively contact the Benefits Customer Services team on 01773 841470.

I need to register a new build property and change the name of the property?

If you want to name or add a new name to the address of your property, please complete our online registration form. If you need to register a street name or number then complete our online request form. Alternatively contact us 01773 841537.

My street nameplate has gone missing, how do we get a new one?

Report a faulty or missing street name plate by completing our online request form. Or give us a call on 01773 841571 with the details.

I want to apply for a taxi licence, where can I get the forms?

You can download an application form online by clicking here. This will need to be returned to our licensing team who can be contacted on 01773 841637.

I want to apply for a Premises Licence, where can I get the forms?

Download an application form here, or alternatively contact our licencing team on 01773 841604.

I want to apply for a Temporary Events Notice, how can I apply?

Download an application form here, or alternatively contact our licencing team on 01773 841604.

I'm struggling to put my wheelie bin out for collection, can somebody help me?

We offer help if you are unable to move your refuse bin or recycling containers. If you would like to join our Assisted Collection Scheme you can complete our online request form or give us a call on 01773 841326 with your details.

My family is getting bigger and I need a bigger bin, can I apply for one?

You will firstly need to check if you meet the criteria for additional capacity for your household waste, once you're happy you can complete our online request form or call us on 01773 841326.

I want to attend a Council Meeting, do you have the date and time?

View our Council Meetings Calendar to find out dates, times, and agendas.

I need to contact my Borough Councillor, where can I find the details?

Use our Borough Councillor Lookup to find your local councillor, you can search by name, ward, and area to find the contact details.

I have just moved to the area and want to set up my Council Tax, who do I contact?

Welcome to Amber Valley, call us on 01773 841440 or return a Council Tax Change of Address form to us and we'll get you up and running.

Where is the nearest playground to me?

View our interactive map to view all of our playground locations in Amber Valley.

My neighbour is having a bonfire in the afternoon, can you stop them?

There are no regulations on when a person can have a bonfire, any time of the day is permitted. However, if this is a regular occurrence you can report this to our Environmental Services team on 01773 841335.


Contact Details
Useful Contact Numbers  
  • Council Tax - 01773 841440
  • Benefits - 01773 841470
  • Building Control - 01773 841521
  • Business Rates - 01773 841444
  • Environmental Services - 01773 841335
  • Pollution & Food Safety - 01773 841308
  • Planning - 01773 841571
  • Refuse & Recycling - 01773 841326
  • About You Online Form

Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Town Hall, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 570222 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoenquiry@ambervalley.gov.uk
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more