Asylum and Immigration

Asylum Seekers are people who flee their home country and seek refuge in another, possibly because of war or human rights abuses.

Asylum Seekers are not allowed to take up employment while their applications are being processed, but they are encouraged to do voluntary work.

The agency responsible for addressing issues of Asylum Seeker and Refugee settlement in England is called National Asylum Seekers Services (NASS).

For further information regarding asylum seekers please refer to:


The Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) and the Housing Associations' Charitable Trust (HACT) have launched (2008) the first housing rights website (ext) to be specifically aimed at answering housing rights queries for new migrants. Visitors to the site are able enter as either frontline housing advisers or new arrivals to receive advice and guidance about their housing rights, including the law on eligibility for social housing and related welfare benefits.
The site includes sections on the specific housing rights of new migrants who are:
  • Refugees
  • EEA workers and other EEA nationals and family members
  • A8 nationals
  • Bulgarians and Romanians
  • work permit holders
  • people fleeing domestic violence
  • people with social care needs.


Visitors are also be able to select links to relevant documents and
websites, including DWP and the Home Office.

For further information on Immigration and nationality please refer to the Immigration and nationality directorate website

For information on identity cards please refer to the Identity and passport service (ext).

When a person wishes to come to the UK and makes an Immigration request, one of the documents they must provide is a letter from the local authority confirming several details about the house they intend to live in.

Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Town Hall, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo0845 602 1739 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more