Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support is for people on a low income to help them pay their Council Tax bill. You may be able to get Council Tax Support if you are on other benefits, work part-time or work full-time on a low income. You can claim Council Tax Support if you have to pay Council Tax on your home.

Council Tax Support is payable in respect of the family, the term family includes single claimants, lone parents, married or un-married partners or civil partners with or without children. The family must occupy the property as their home and be liable to pay Council Tax.

As well as main Council Tax Support there is also Second Adult Rebate for pension aged claimants who do not have a partner (or their partner is 'not counted' for Council Tax purposes) and they have other people living with them who are on a low income. See 'Second Adult Rebate'.

The Government has reduced the amount of money available to Councils to help those on low-income pay their Council Tax and Councils were asked to devise local Council Tax Support schemes to replace Council Tax Benefit from 1 April 2013.

In Amber Valley every working age person who is liable for Council Tax has to pay something now, even if they got full benefit and paid nothing previously.

All working age claimants will have their Council Tax Support awards reduced by 8.5%.

Therefore you may receive a Council Tax Bill asking you to pay something this year whereas you didn't have anything to pay previously.

Please don't ignore the bill - you must pay it.

Contact the Council on 01773 841470 if you want to discuss this further.

Use our online benefits calculator to check your Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support entitlement.

Council Tax bills can be reduced by:

Council Tax discounts
Council Tax exemptions
Council Tax reductions for people with disabilities

See the relevant links for further details.

Council Tax Support Scheme 2017-18

The scheme that Amber Valley Borough Council has adopted is based on The Council Tax Reduction Schemes (Default Scheme) (England) Regulations 2012 with a number of amendments. The scheme can be found here.



Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Town Hall, Market Place, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 841470 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more