How to Claim Council Tax Support

In order to claim Council Tax Support, you need to complete an application form.

You can complete your Housing Benefit claim online - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Alternatively, you can complete a claim form. Once you have filled in the claim form send it back to the Council as soon as possible.

You can contact the Benefits and Revenues Customer Services Section for a claim form to be sent to you or if you prefer we can complete the claim form with you over the telephone or in person at our office in Ripley. 

You can download the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claim form by clicking here, or collect one from our offices in Ripley.

Council Tax Suppprt entitlement generally begins on the Monday following your verbal or written request to claim the support, as long as we receive a completed claim form from you within a calendar month of your request.

However a claim may be backdated where the claimant can show 'good cause' as to why the claim was not made earlier. For working aged claimants a claim may be backdated for a maximum of up to 1 month from the date of the backdating request. For pension aged claimants we are able to consider the claim for a maximum of 3 months before the date of claim.

A person may claim Council Tax Support up to 17 weeks in advance of the date they reach pension age, or up to 13 weeks in advance of some other event which will mean they will become entitled to Council Tax Support, for example moving to a new address. However we will not be able to pay you any Council Tax Support until you move in.

Further Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support forms can be found here and are available to download individually.


Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Town Hall, Market Place, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 841470 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more