Social Fund Payments

From 1 April 2013, Derbyshire County Council will have a fund to help people in emergency or crisis situations, or who need help to continue to live independent lives or cope with exceptional pressure that they have no money to sort out.

This kind of support was previously available from the DWP as Crisis Loans and Community Care Grants.

There are two types of payment potentially available from Derbyshire Discretionary Fund

  • Exceptional Pressure Grant
  • Emergency Cash Payment

All applications are made directly to the Derbyshire Discretionary Fund Team on 01629 533 399 they can be contacted Monday to Friday between 10am and 4pm.

You could get a Budgeting Loan to help pay for essential things like rent, furniture, clothes or hire purchase debts. Budgeting Loans are interest-free so you only pay back what you borrow. You normally have to repay the loan within 104 weeks.

You can apply for a loan if you've been getting income-related benefits for at least 26 weeks. To apply for a Budgeting Loan contact your local Jobcentre Plus office.

If you're are in receipt of certain benefits you may be able to get a Sure Start Maternity Grant, this is a one-off payment to help towards costs of a new baby. You don't have to pay the grant back and it won't affect your other benefits or tax credits. See the related link for more information and how to claim. 

If you're on a low income and need help to pay for a funeral you're arranging, you could get a Funeral Payment. How much you get depends on your circumstances and if you qualify. Any money you get is usually paid back from the deceased person's estate (if they have one). For example, any money or property they had.  See the related link for more information and how to claim.




Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoTown Hall, Market Place, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 570222 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more