Council Tax Levels

Council Tax - who collects and spends the council tax?

Your local council (Amber Valley Borough Council) sets the council tax.

The amount set depends on how much it and certain other public bodies known as "Precepting Authorities" (Derbyshire County Council, Police & Crime Commissioner, Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Authority, Parish and Town Councils) in your area need to spend and how much money they get from elsewhere.

Amber Valley Borough Council issues the bills and then collects the council tax on behalf of all of the local Precepting Authorities (Derbyshire County Council, Police & Crime Commissioner, Derbyshire Fire & Rescue Authority, Parish and Town Councils). Amber Valley Borough Council uses only about 10% of the council tax that Amber Valley Borough Council collects in; the remaining 90% is paid over to the Precepting Authorities

Council Tax breakdown example:

Distribution Of Council Tax MH0214 (1)


View the Annual Council Tax Rates for your area here


Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoTown Hall, Market Place, Ripley, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 841440 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more