What other reliefs from Non Domestic Rates are available?

Rural Rate Relief

This scheme allows for mandatory relief of 50% to be granted to all of the following classes of business, provided that they are situated within a qualifying rural settlement and meet the following criteria:

The types of business that qualify for this relief are:

  • Post Office - the only such business in the rural settlement, and with a rateable value of £8,500 or less.
  • General Store - the only such business in the rural settlement, and with a rateable value of £8,500 or less.
  • Public House - the only such business in the rural settlement, and with a rateable value of £12,500 or less.
  • Petrol Filling Station - the only such business in the rural settlement, and with a rateable value of £12,500 or less.
  • Rural Food Shop - a business consisting wholly or mainly of the sale by retail of food for human consumption (excluding confectionery and the supply of food for consumption on the premises, or hot food for consumption off the premises), and with a rateable value of £8,500 or less.

Authorities also have discretion to remit all or part of the rate bill of other businesses in a rural settlement which have a rateable value of £16,500 or less, if it is satisfied that the property is used for a purpose which benefits the local community.

General Stores are defined as a business whose trade is wholly or mainly the retail sale of food for human consumption (excluding confectionery) and household goods.

Rural settlements are defined in various statutory instruments and also by map reference. They must have a population of no more than 3,000 residents. To see a list of the rural settlements that have been defined by Amber Valley Borough Council contact the Business Rates Section on 01773 841444.

If part of your property is not being used and is completely empty for a short time, you can apply for Section 44a Relief.  In these circumstances the Authority may consider giving you relief to reduce the amount you have to pay. From the 1st April 2010 because of the changes to empty property relief this relief will only be available for 3 months for a non industrial property (unless it is specifically exempted from unoccupied rating by Government Order) or 6 months for an industrial premises eg factories or warehouses (unless it is specifically exempted from unoccupied rating by Government Order).

Apply for Rural Rate Relief online by completing our online submission form.

Hardship relief

The Council, at its discretion, can award up to 100% relief from Business Rates to ratepayers who are experiencing hardship. However, as the Council funds a significant part of this relief itself, cases will only be considered if they are in the interest of the community.

In order for the Council to consider granting hardship relief, an application must be made in writing, including copies of fully audited accounts.

How the Council will assess your application:

  • Each case will be considered on its own merits.
  • Reduction of rates on the grounds of hardship is the exception rather than the rule.
  • The test of 'hardship' is not confined strictly to financial hardship - all relevant factors affecting the ability of a business to meet its liability for rates are taken into account.
  • The 'interests' of the Council Tax payers in the area may go wider than direct financial interests. For example the case for a reduction of rates may still outweigh the costs to the Council Tax payer if employment prospects in the area would be worsened by a company going out of business, or the amenities of the area might be reduced if it went out of business even though granting rate relief would have an adverse effect on the financial interests of Council Tax payers.

When making your written application make sure you enclose all the documents we need.

If your business is open:

  • Your current and previous two years audited accounts
  • Your last three months bank statements
  • Details of your income and expenditure over the last 3 months if not covered in your audited accounts

If your business is closed:

  • Your last three months bank statements
  • Copies of your pay slips

Return your completed application together with a covering letter  to the Business Rates Section Town Hall, Ripley, Derbyshire DE5 3BT

If you wish to discuss your application before submission please contact us on 01773 841444 or email nndr@ambervalley.gov.uk

Rate Relief on Telecom Fibre Optics

The Government will provide a new 100% business rates relief for new full-fibre infrastructure for a five year period from 1 April 2017 to support the rollout of new full-fibre broadband infrastructure and future 5G communications to homes and businesses.

The necessary changes to primary legislation will be introduced as soon as that is possible and it is anticipated that this will enable the relief to be backdated to April 2017. Therefore, no action is required yet by local authorities until the changes are made. The Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) and the Valuation Office Agency will work with the telecoms sector and local government on implementing the relief and will publish guidance on how it will operate in due course.

Local Newspapers

The Chancellor announced at the Budget that the Government will introduce a £1,500 business rates discount for office space occupied by local newspapers, up to a maximum of one discount per local newspaper title and per hereditament, and up to state aid limits, for 2 years from 1 April 2017. The relief will be delivered through local authority discretionary discount powers under section 47(3) of the Local Government Finance Act 1988.

Public Toilets

The Government intends to introduce the necessary legislation to enable local authorities to use their existing discretionary relief powers to support publicly owned public toilets from 1 April 2018.

Other Changes

On 8 March 2017, in the Spring Budget, the Chancellor of the Exchequer announced that a scheme of relief would be made available to those ratepayers facing large increases as a result of the loss of small business or rural rate relief.

The supporting small businesses relief will ensure that the increase per year in the bills of these ratepayers is limited to the greater of:

  • a cash value of £600 per year (£50 per month). This cash minimum increase ensures that those ratepayers currently paying nothing or very small amounts are brought into paying something, or
  • the matching cap on increases for small properties in the transitional relief scheme.

Formal guidance on the operation of the scheme including more complex cases and future years will follow from the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG).

The Government also announced the establishment of a £300m discretionary fund to all Councils over four years from 2017-18 to support those businesses that face the steepest increases in their business rates bills as a result of the 2017 revaluation.

It was also announced that there will be a new relief scheme for pubs that have a rateable value of below £100,000. Under the scheme, eligible pubs will receive a £1,000 discount on their bill. The DCLG plans to publish a consultation on the operation of the relief scheme for pubs shortly.


Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoTown Hall, Market Place, Ripley, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 841444 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logonndr@ambervalley.gov.uk
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more