How Do You Qualify as a Club Premises

Voluntary and social clubs give rise to different issues for licensing law than commercially run premises selling direct to the public.

Club Premises Certificates enable club premises that fulfil specific membership criteria to supply alcohol and other club activities for their members and guests, on a non-profit basis.

The criteria are similar to members' club certificates previously issued under the Licensing Act 1964, but not all existing members' clubs qualify for the new club premises certificates. Club certificates do not have an expiry date.

It is the people within the organisation that usually own the property in which they meet and any fixtures and fittings, such as alcohol. The bar is run by a bar Committee of at least three members, although it is permissible for them to employ a bar man to dispense the alcohol.

Since members already 'own' the alcohol they cannot buy it but may pass money to replace the stock they have taken. Alcohol can only be supplied to members. In a registered club no one person derives financial benefit from the running of the club.

The criteria for qualifying clubs are:

  • there must be an interval of at least two days between nomination for membership and granting of membership or admission
  • there must be at least 25 members
  • the club must be established and conducted in good faith
  • the club must be non-profit making
  • alcohol is not supplied or intended to be supplied to members on the premises other than by, or on behalf of, the club
Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Licensing Section, Town Hall, Market Place, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 570222 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more