Personal Licence

Personal licence renewals abolished from 1 April 2015

The Government have implemented the Commencement Order for the Deregulation Act 2015.

This means that from 1st April 2015 there is no longer the requirement for Personal Licence Holders to apply to renew their Personal Licence.

Although your Personal Licence and ID card show an expiry date it is considered valid for an ‘indefinite’ period and does not need to be renewed.

Please note, however, the Licensing Act 2003 still requires that Personal Licence Holders still notify the Council of any relevant or foreign offences.

If you change your name or address you are required to notify the Council in writing as to when the change occurred, together with a £10.50 fee, enclosing your licence and ID card, or a reason for why these cannot be produced to the Council.  You will then be issued a new licence showing your correct details.


Personal licences are issued to individuals to enable them to sell or supply alcohol from sites with a premises licence.

Personal licences are valid at any licensed premises in England and Wales and lasts for an indefinite period, unless suspended, revoked or surrendered. A personal licence is not necessary for premises with a club registration certificate, or where a Temporary Event Notice is applied for.

If you live in Amber Valley, you should apply to us however if you work at a premises in Amber Valley, but live elsewhere, apply to the district or city council where you live.

The fee for a personal licence is £37.

The Council is under a duty to protect the public funds it administers, and so may use the information you have provided for the prevention and detection of error, fraud and crime. It may also share and match this information with other bodies responsible for auditing or administering public funds for these purposes.

For further information, contact the Council's Data Protection Officer on 01773 841670.

Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Licensing Section, Town Hall, Market Place, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 570222 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more