What is a Premises Licence

Premises Licences replace Justices Licences previously issued under the Licensing Act 1964, for the sale and supply of alcohol. Premises licensed to sell alcohol must have a Designated Premises Supervisor, who must have a Personal Licence .

Other licensable activities include providing late night refreshment - the sale of hot food between 11.00pm and 5.00am - and providing regulated entertainment - this section explains the types of entertainment that need a licence.

Premises licences do not have an expiry date, unless granted for a fixed period for a specific reason, but an annual fee is payable to keep your licence current.

You can also apply for a Provisional Licence Statement for premises which are intended to become licensed, but which have not yet been built or converted.

For registered private members' clubs, see Club Premises Certificates, which are required instead of a Premises Licence.

Premises used to hold regulated entertainment, sell alcohol or provide late night refreshment must have a premises licence.

Regulated entertainment includes, films, plays, indoor sports, live and recorded music and provision of facilities for making music and dancing.

A premises licence lasts indefinitely, but is subject to an annual fee.

Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Licensing Section, Town Hall, Market Place, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 570222 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logolicensing@ambervalley.gov.uk
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more