Standards and Appeals Committee

The Council, in accordance with the Localism Act 2011, has established a Standards and Appeals Committee to promote and maintain high standards of conduct amongst members of the Borough Council and co-opted members.  An independent person has been appointed and will be consulted on the conduct of members in the event of a complaint being received.

The Standards and Appeals Committee is made up of seven borough council members, one parish representative and one independent person as follows:  

  • Councillor G B Gee (Borough Councillor) - Chair
  • Councillor R Iliffe (Borough Councillor) - Vice Chair
  • Councillor S M Evanson (Borough Councillor)
  • Councillor B Gration (Borough Councillor)
  • Councillor S A Hayes (Borough Councillor)
  • Councillor T Holmes (Borough Councillor)
  • Councillor M Wilson (Borough Councillor)
  • Mr I Shuttleworth - Independent Person
  • Councillor M Lane (Parish Representative)

The Standards and Appeals Committee is currently responsible for the following main activities:

  • promoting and maintaining high standards of conduct by Councillors and co-opted members
  • assisting Councillors and co-opted members to observe the Code of Conduct for Members
  • advising the Council on (i) the adoption of a Code of Conduct for Members and supporting protocols and (ii) their revision or replacement
  • monitoring the operation of the Code of Conduct for Members
  • advising, training or arranging to train Councillors and co-opted members on matters relating to the Code of Conduct for Members
  • granting dispensations to Councillors and co-opted members
  • considering matters referred by the Monitoring Officer including those matters where he/she considers it is inappropriate for him/her to take the decision
  • the approval or otherwise for the purposes of Section 85 of the Local Government Act 1972 of the reason(s) for the failure of any Member to attend meetings of the authority
  • overview of the whistle blowing policy and raising concerns at Amber Valley
  • overview of complaints handling and Ombudsman investigations
  • overview of the Constitution in respect of standards and related matters
  • overview of the local code of good practice for councillors and officers dealing with planning matters
  • overview of the Council's policy on bullying and harassment policy

Additional roles of the Standards and Appeals Committee

Dealing with the following miscellaneous appeals:

  • (i) Appeals against disciplinary and redundancy matters by employees of the Council
  • (ii) Appeals about housing matters
  • (iii) Discretionary housing payment matters
  • (iv) Discretionary rate relief and business rate hardship relief
  • (v) Appeals against Rural Rate Relief
  • (vi) Appeals in relation to empty property Council Tax Discount

Code of Conduct

Pursuant to Section 28(12) of the Localism Act 2011, the Borough Council on 20 June 2012 adopted a new Code of Conduct to take effect from 1 July 2012. 

Click Here for the new Code of Conduct

Complaints Procedure

If you want to complain about the conduct of a member of Amber Valley Borough Council, you must submit your complaint in writing to:

The Standards and Appeals Committee
Amber Valley Borough Council
Town Hall, Market Place
Derbyshire DE5 3BT

The Standards and Appeals Committee can only deal with complaints about the behaviour of a Member. It will not deal with complaints about things that are not covered by the Members' Code of Conduct. If you make a complaint to the Standards and Appeals Committee it must be about why you think a Member has not followed the Code of Conduct. Click here to download a Members Code of Conduct Complaint Form


Under Section 33 of the Localism Act 2011, dispensations can be granted to a member of the Council in the following circumstances:

1. when so many members of the decision-making body have Disclosable Pecuniary Interests in a matter that it would "impede the transaction of the business".  In practice, this means that the decision-making body would be inquorate as a result;

2. that, without the dispensation, the representation of different political groups on the body transacting the business would be so upset as to alter the outcome of any vote on the matter;

3. that the authority considers that the dispensation is in the interests of persons living in the authority's area;

4. that, without a dispensation, no member of the Cabinet would be able to participate on this matter; or

5. that the authority considers that it is otherwise appropriate to grant a dispensation.

Any grant of a dispensation must specify how long it lasts for, up to a maximum of four years.

The Council has delegated the power to grant dispensations to the Standards and Appeals Committee or a Dispensations Sub-Committee appointed by the Sub-Committee, or to the Monitoring Officer.  Items 1 and 4 will be dealt with by the Monitoring Officer under delegated powers.

You can apply for a dispensation by downloading and completing the form on this page and sending it to the Monitoring Officer. Please remember that dispensations have to be dealt with at a properly constituted meeting of the Standards and Appeals Committee. Therefore you should allow sufficient time for that meeting to be called and proper notice given. Your application should be sent to the Monitoring Officer no less than 14 days before the date when the matter is to be considered.

Signed and completed forms should be sent to the Monitoring Officer, Amber Valley Borough Council, Town Hall, Market Place, Ripley, Derbyshire DE5 3BT. You can contact the Monitoring Officer on 01773 841397 or email

Standards and Appeals Committee11




Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoTown Hall, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 570222 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more