Services Provided by the Council

Regulatory and licensing responsibilities:


The Licensing Section deal with applications for licenses in relation to the Licensing Act 2003, Gambling Act 2005, lotteries, motor salvage, taxi licensing, sex establishments and game licenses.


The planning pages on this website provide information on planning applications, planning appeals, local development plans, conservation and street naming and numbering etc.

Building Control

The Building Control Team works with the public, builders and designers to ensure that properties within Amber Valley are safe and comply with the Building Regulations, ensuring the health and safety of people in and around all buildings. For further information go to the Building Control Services page on this website.

Environmental Health

Environmental Services consists of a number of Business Units that can help the public with various issues and provide information on several subjects relating to Environmental Health including food safety, health and safety, housing, pollution and pest control. Further information is available on the Environmental Health page of this website.

Local Land Charges

The Local Land Charge Act 1975 and the Local Land Charges Rules 1977 gives any person the right to search the Local land Charges Register upon payment of the prescribed fee. For more information, go to the Land Searches page on this website.

Council Tax

The Council Tax is a local tax set by local councils to help pay for local services. For information on bandings, discounts, how to pay your bill and how to appeal, go to the Council Tax page on this website.

Housing Benefit

Housing Benefit is a benefit for people on a low income to help them pay their rent. For more information go to the Housing Benefit page on this website.

Council Tax Benefit

Council Tax Benefit is a benefit for people on a low income to help them pay their Council Tax bill. For more information go to the Council Tax Benefit page on this website.

Waste Collection and Recycling

Under the Environmental Protection Act (1990), the Council is a Waste Collection Authority. The Council's responsibility is to collect waste from households and as requested, from businesses. For further information go to the Waste Management page on this website.

Election Information

For information on electoral services, electoral registration, how to become a councillor, local elections and voting, go to the Democracy and Elections page on this website.

Services for local businesses:

The Business Support Homepage provides information about a number of services for Business such as guidance, training and networking opportunities.

Services for other organisations:

The Herbert Strutt Charity Trust is jointly administered by Amber Valley Borough Council and Belper Town Council. The Charity awards Funds for charitable purposes to benefit residents of the area served by Belper Town Council (including Milford). For more information, go to the Herbert Strutt Charity page on this website.

Services for which the Council is entitled to recover a fee, together with those fees:

Most of the information listed in the Publication Scheme is available free of charge unless stated otherwise. Documents listed on the Council's website are available to download free of charge. The Council also has a Freedom of Information Act Charging Policy which gives details of how the Council can charge for requests for information.

Information for visitors to the area, leisure information and events:

For more information and a link to the 'Visit Amber Valley website' go to the Leisure and Culture page on this website.

Advice and Guidance:

Advice and guidance on a wide range of topics is available on this website together with many helpful links to other organisations.

Media Releases:

News releases are available via the Homepage on this website.

Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Town Hall, Market Place, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 570222 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more