Storm Babet flood support and recovery

A significant number of homes and businesses in Amber Valley were affected by flooding. We're actively working to assist those affected and be able to provide you access to services and useful information where possible.

The Government has announced funding to help households and businesses affected by flooding to recover from the impact of Storm Babet. Please read our financial grants page for full details on how to apply.

SALCARE at Heanor has kindly offered to help households who have been impacted by flooding and are in need of furniture. Please contact them directly to see how they can they help.

Telephone - 01773 764562

SALCARE Showroom
59 Ray Street
DE75 7GF

Here is a list of the food banks and community pantries in Amber Valley that are part of the Feeding Derbyshire Partnership through Rural Action.

Hope For Belper
Email -
Facebook -
Address - Belper Baptist Church, 71 Bridge St, Belper, DE56 1BA
Website -
Facebook -
Opening times - 12pm- 2pm every Tuesday and Friday except for on Bank Holidays
Referrals - Referrals from partner agencies, but can take emergency self-referral if partners unavailable

Oscari Pantry:
Contact number - 07943 401939
Email -
Address - Oscari, Church of Christ, Colledge street, Riddings, DE55 4EZ
Website -
Facebook -
Opening times - Mondays 9.30am till 2.30pm, Tuesdays 10 till 2pm, Wednesdays 9am till 1pm, Fridays 10am till 12pm and Saturdays 12pm till 2pm. Please check Their facebook for special Saturday openings once a month.
Referrals - no referrals needed, but there is a small membership fee and shop donation fee

Contact number - 01773 764562
Email -
Website -
Location - Salcare, 59 Ray Street, Heanor, DE75 7GF
Opening times - Every Tuesday and Friday from 10am to 1pm
Referrals - Walk-in and referrals from partner agencies

St Andrews Foodbank Langley Mill:
Contact number - 07552 781656
Address - Anglican Methodist Church, Station Road, Langley Mill, Derbyshire, NG16 4BP
Website -
Opening times - Fridays 1pm till 4pm

We are working directly with people, and our partners, to provide alternative accommodation for those unable to return home and are looking at all options that are available.

This is creating a significant pressure as we have limited emergency accommodation. We are here to help and are doing all we can to find suitable accommodation, but we are appealing for people to stay with friends or family wherever possible.

If people require housing help, they should call us soon as possible on 01773 841400.

Our teams are working directly with those affected to help remove damaged items and waste, and also clearing both contamination and debris from public areas that were affected by flooding.

To help us coordinate our recovery and clean-up, we're asking all households whose property has been affected to please complete the following online form to tell us about the damage and items:

Receiving these reports will help ensure we're visiting the correct areas in Amber Valley to help those who need it most.

We will be collecting discarded items left on the street for disposal from properties affected by the recent floods. Our team will attempt to speak with residents before removing any items, but in their absence, items will be taken away.

There is no cost for disposing of household items damaged in the flooding.

Derbyshire Law Centre's mission is to increase access to justice for disadvantaged individuals and communities through the provision of quality assured, accessible free and low cost legal advice, information and representation to individuals and groups.

If you need any legal advice during the recovery of Storm Babet, you can contact them on 0800 707 6990 or 01246 550 674. You can also visit to find out more.

Flood water could be contaminated and poses a risk to your health, you should take some basic steps to keep you and your family safe while cleaning up your flooded home.

You should wear appropriate protective equipment including boots, waterproof gloves and an apron to clean up. You may also consider wearing a face mask and goggles.

Do not turn on gas or electrics if they may have got wet. Only turn them on when they have been checked by a qualified technician.

You can find full guidance on cleaning and drying your home safely on the Government website.

It is normal to feel upset, anxious, tired, and have difficulty sleeping when our lives are significantly disrupted through events like flooding.

Reach out to friends and family for support as it can take a long time for life to return to normal.

There are many places you can go to for support:

If you rent your home, you should contact your landlord or letting agent as soon as possible. They are responsible for repairs to your home from flood damage. 

If you have home or business insurance, we have advised people over the weekend that they should contact their insurer directly before any cleaning works. They will need details of the damage but can also offer additional help and support.

For future insurance, have a useful web page on preparing for a flood at

You should not attempt to reconnect the electricity or gas supply to your home following flooding until it has been checked by an engineer. Staff from National Grid are currently visiting affected areas to reconnect the electricty supply. You can contact the relevant agencies on the below numbers:

  • National Grid - 0800 6783 405 
  • Cadent (gas) - 0800 389 8000
  • Severn Trent Water - 03457 500 500 / 0800 783 4444

The chamber of commerce’s information team, which can be contacted by calling 0333 320 0333, can provide advice to businesses – whether or not they are Chamber members – on what they can do and where support is available in their local area.

After a flood, you can stay healthy by:

  • Not using tap water if you notice a change in the colour, taste or smell - contact your water company if this happens.
  • Not eating food that’s touched flood water.
  • Throwing away food from a fridge if the electricity has been off for more than four hours.
  • Throwing away food from a freezer if the electricity has been off for more than 24 hours.
  • Mains water is under pressure so unless there has been a burst or other issue in the distribution system it will be unaffected by flood water. Flooding would not lead Severn Trent to put poor quality water into supply from their treatment works, which are often located well away from the flooded properties. Where Boil Water notices are in force (or Do Not Use or Do Not Drink) they make every effort to contact each customer directly and give them a card so they are well informed, so any customer being advised to boil water will have heard directly from Severn Trent.

Water safety

  • Many rivers and streams will remain very full and fast-flowing for several days. Keep away from riverbanks and paths close to rivers – the paths may have become unstable and slippery.
  • Never enter the water to rescue anyone, or an animal in difficulty in the water. Call 999 immediately and tell them to float on their back.
  • Keep dogs on leads close to water.



  • Please do not ignore road closure signs, they are there for your safety.
  • If you must travel, please keep safe on the roads and expect some disruption as debris and mud may have damaged local roads.
  • Never drive or walk into flood water even if it appears shallow – it could endanger your life.
  • Where flooding has subsided, road maintenance teams are out across the county working to clear roads of debris and make them safe to travel on. Many roads have been affected and this is taking some time, so please bear with us.
  • Many road surfaces will have been damaged by the flooding, so please drive carefully.

Weather-related road closures can be viewed on Derbyshire County Council's website at


Advice is available online for anyone whose home has been affected by flooding on the following websites:

Need further help or information?

Contact the team directly on 01773 570222 or email

Pages in Storm Babet Financial grants