Dog Fouling

As a Local Authority, Amber Valley Borough Council has a duty to provide Officers to enforce dog fouling byelaws.

The main law enforced by Amber Valley Borough Council covering fouling is The Dogs Fouling of Land Act 1996. This law makes it an offence to allow your dog to defecate and not clean it up.

Dog faeces is a health hazard and can blindness in young children.

Our Neighbourhood Wardens continually strive to catch offenders and can issue on the spot Fixed Penalty Notices.

Amber Valley will also issue Fixed Penalty Notices on a witness statement. A witness could be a neighbour or a complete stranger.

Forgetting a poop scoop bag is not an acceptable excuse - you will still be prosecuted.

Making a Complaint

If you wish to make a complaint regarding dog fouling, please contact the helpline or submit the form below.  We aim to respond to your complaint within 5 working days which will include patrols and erecting signage where appropriate.

Any information you supply will remain confidential.

It can also be very useful if a diary is kept on dates, times and brief descriptions etc. as this can assist the wardens when patrolling the area.

Witness Statements

If you are prepared to act as a witness to dog fouling incidents this can help us to bring successful prosecutions.


You can also report an incident of dog fouling using our online submission form below.  Please note, we do request that you include your name and telephone number in your submission, however these details will not be passed on to any other person, they will only be used to contact you if we require further information on the details you have reported.  Thank you.

Reporting Dog Fouling

Please complete all fields


Contact Details
Related Links  
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Environmental Services, Town Hall, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 841335 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more