Development Planning        Community Planning          

                             Development Management            Community Planning


Popular Pages




FAQ Icon


What documents do I need to submit with my application?

The Planning Portal has produced guidance to help submitting an application online.  All forms can be found on our website by visiting the Making an Application page.

How much will my application be?

Our fees can be found by clicking here.

What happens after I submit my application?

Your application will be registered on the system and then it will be validated by the Technical administrators. Once your application is valid, a planning officer will be assigned to carry out the site visits and make a decision. At this point you will receive paperwork informing you of which officer has been assigned and their contact details (if you use an agent this information will be sent to them).

Who is consulted about my application?

The planning officer who has been assigned to you case will ask certain bodies to make comments; this is different for each application as each application is taken on its own merits. This will also depend upon the constraints for the site / property. Those who are direct neighbours to the site / property will be consulted on small applications, but we will consult on a wider range of neighbours should we feel it necessary to do so. If someone has commented on a previous application they will automatically be consulted on the new application.

How long will it take to get permission?

Householder - 8 Weeks approximately

Non-material amendment - 4 Weeks approximately

Prior notification -28 Days approximately

Minor applications - 8 Weeks approximately

Major applications 13 Weeks approximately

How do I object or make representation on a planning application?

You have the option to comment on a planning application.  Firstly, find the application you wish to comment on by using our View a Planning Application page.  Once the information has loaded there will be a tab that states Make Comments, this form will then be submitted to our Planning Team.

If you wish to make a comment via another method (such as email, text, or letter), please include either your email address or postal address so that we can acknowledge your comment and keep you up to date with the planning application.

Can I appeal against a decision on my application?

Yes you can appeal against a decision made by the Council up to 6 months after the decision has been issued. You can also appeal if your application has not been determined after 8 or 13 for major development proposals weeks you have a right of appeal. For more information on the appeals process please visit the appeals section. (Please note no third party have a right to appeal).

How do I view documents and other applications?

Only planning applications from 2004 onwards can be viewed on our website, visit the View a Planning Application page. For any records dating before 2004 please contact the records department for an appointment on 01773 570222 ext 2476.

How do I discharge conditions?

In order to discharge the conditions of your planning application you will need to ensue that you have all of the information relating to your conditions, such as the materials. A covering letter outlining which conditions you wish to discharge, will also be required and the relevant fee. You can send in your discharge of conditions via the post, email or in person. Please remember we cannot take over the phone payments.

What is permitted development?

Permitted development means that you can do certain work to a property without requiring planning permission. To find out exactly what you can do please visit and use the interactive house. (Please be advised the council no longer offer clarification on this matter.)

PLEASE NOTE: For a period of three years, between 30 May 2013 and 30 May 2016, householders will be able to build larger single-storey rear extensions under permitted development. The size limits will double from 4 metres to 8 metres for detached houses, and from 3 metres to 6 metres for all other houses. For more information on this please use the following link

Who can give me advice on listed buildings, conservation areas and article 4 directions?

If you require advice on what to submit with your planning application please call the Technical administration team on 01773 841571. For all other enquires please email or call the Planning Policy team on 01773 841584.

How do I contact the council about planning matters?

You can contact the planning department by


phone: 01773 841571

letter: Planning Department, Town Hall, Market Place, Ripley, DE5 3BT

How do I make a complaint about unauthorised development?

If you feel that a development which is taking place would require planning permission, please submit the online enforcement request form. (Please note all fields of the form must be filled in, in order to validate your enquiry.) If you cannot complete this online, then please call the Technical Administration team on 01773 841571, but please ensure you have all of the information required such as site address. We do not except anonymous complaints.

How do I purchase OS plans?

OS plans can be purchased from the authority for a fee of £25.00. A full postal address including a postcode will be required. OS plans can be ordered by letter or by email to, but payment must be received before hand. (Please note that we do not take payments over the phone). Please ensure that you call the records department before your arrival if you are ordering and collecting in person.

Do I need planning permission?

Planning permission may or may not be required depending on what you want to do, for further information please visit

How do I apply to drop my kerb?

Planning permission is not always required to drop a kerb. If you live on a main road (a classified road) you will more than likely require planning permission however if you live on a housing estate (non classified road) you may not. For clarification on if you live on a classified road or non-classified road please call the planning department on 01773 841571. Will also need to contact Derbyshire County Council on 01629 533190 for their information pack on dropping kerbs.


Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoTown Hall, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 841571 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more