Conservation Areas

Conservation Areas are areas of special architectural or historic interest, 'the character or appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance'. Conservation Area status gives the Council some extra control over development to encourage enhancement of the area, but it is not meant to stifle development.

Click on the links below to access information regarding;


Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I find out if my property is in a Conservation Area?

Please go to the MyProperty page of the website

Who designates Conservation Areas?

Conservation Areas are designated by the council, although the Secretary of State also has the power in exceptional circumstances. New designations, amendments and the adoption of appraisals and management plans are all subject to public consultation and committee approval.

What policies and guidance relates to Conservation Areas?

National Planning guidance is provided by Planning Policy Statement 5- Planning for the Historic Environment. Specific local policies directly relating to conservation areas are set out in the Amber Valley Local Plan (2006). The Borough Council also has an adopted Supplementary Planning Document: Listed Buildings and Buildings in Conservation Areas (April 2007) that sets out additional policies that apply to development in conservation areas.

How does Article 4(2) affect my property?

An Article 4(2) Direction changes the type of alterations that would require planning permission, in order to provide greater protection to the qualities and characteristics, which make the area special.

What are the benefits to Conservation Areas?

There is a duty to designate as a conservation area any area of special architectural or historic interest, the character or appearance of which is desirable to preserve or enhance. It is a way of recognising the importance of the quality of an area as a whole. Conservation Areas are designated to manage change in order to enhance conservation areas and ensure that new development preserves and enhances their character.

Do I need Conservation Area Consent?

Conservation Area Consent is needed for almost any works for the demolition of all or almost any buildings within Conservation Area. It is also required for substantial demolition of boundary walls, fences or gates if they are more than one metre high fronting onto a highway or public right of way.

Can I change my windows?

Often perfectly good original windows are removed from buildings as a way of improving energy and insulation. This is usually an unnecessary alteration that detracts from the character appearance of the building, further guidance can be found by English Heritage. It is advised that owners within conservation areas retain their original timber or metal frames. Window frames may appear to be beyond repair but at close inspection only need limited repairs or re-painting. If a window frame is beyond repair a replacement maybe carried out using materials and design that identically replicate the original windows. The use of PVC is not recommended in a conservation area. The profile of the frame cannot replicate timber and they detract form the character of the area. They are manufactured from oil, which is a non-renewable resource and require large amounts of energy in production which makes them less sustainable than wood. Secondary glazing can be used as and alternative to the installation of new double glazing, secondary glazing retains the existing window and therefore preserves the property’s external appearance and offers considerable improvement in heat retention over single glazing. Secondary glazing ranges from simple one-season plastic film methods undertaken by householders to more permanent purpose built systems. Simple repairs to mend cracks and eliminate gaps can significantly reduce the amount of air infiltration or draughts. Research carried out by English Heritage states that Air Infiltration of Sash Windows can be reduced by as much as 86% by adding draught proofing. Using existing shutters can help cut down heat loss through windows as can the use of blinds and thick curtains. Further information on energy saving can be found at:

Are trees protected in Conservation Areas?

Trees in conservation areas are also afforded additional protection. Six weeks notice in writing must be given to the Borough Council of any proposed works to prune or fell a tree in a conservation area.

Can I build a loft extension?

Roof extensions in conservation areas require planning permission.

My property is listed: How do Conservation Areas affect me?

Conservation Area designation does not convey any additional controls. Listed Buildings have their own set of legal safeguards.


English Heritage have also produced a set of Frequently Asked Questions which can be viewed by clicking here.


Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Town Hall, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 841571 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more