Planning Applications in Conservation Areas

Conservation Area status gives the Council some extra control over development to encourage enhancement of the area, but it is not meant to stifle development. When considering applications for development in conservation areas special attention will be paid the impact of the proposal on the character or appearance of the area.

To find out whether planning permission is required for the works you propose to undertake please use the links below;

If my property is within a conservation area

If the building is included in a Conservation Area, some alterations can be carried out without the need to obtain planning permission. However, if the building is also included in an Article 4 Direction then other restrictions apply. In addition, if the building is also Listed, then an application for Listed Building Consent is also required.

Conservation Guidance

For more guidance please refer to the Listed Buildings and Buildings in Conservation Areas Supplementary Planning Document by clicking here

If my property is within Belper and Milford Conservation Area

An Article 4(2) Direction applies to all dwellings in the Belper and Milford Conservation Area.

An article 4(2) Direction removes most 'permitted development' rights and means that planning permission is required for certain extensions, alterations, replacement of windows and doors, paintings to exterior walls and erection of any gate, fence or wall or satellite dish, subject to certain criteria where the alteration fronts on to a highway, footpath, waterway or a public open space

The purpose of removing permitted development ensures that all works protects or enhances the character of the Conservation Area and the Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage

If I want to demolish in a Conservation Area

Conservation Area Consent is required for the demolition or partial demolition of a building which exceeds 115 cubic metres in volume.

Conservation Area Consent is also required for the total demolition of a wall, fence or other means of enclosure but not for the partial demolition.

Refer to the Listed Buildings and Buildings in Conservation Area SPD before submitting an application.

Please view the National Requirements for applications relating to Conservation Area Consents before submitting an application.

If I want to carry out work to a tree in a Conservation Area

Anyone wanting to carry out works (including cut down, top, lop, prune, uproot or willfully damage or destroy) a tree which falls within a Conservation Area must first give 6 weeks notice to the Local Planning Authority.

If you propose to do any works to a tree covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or works to a Tree within a Conservation Area (TCA) then an application will need to be submitted.

Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Town Hall, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 570222 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more