Breaches of Planning Control

What is a breach of planning control?

A development carried out without the relevant planning permission is a breach of planning control.

The execution of unauthorised works is not defined in law as a criminal offence unless the works are being made to a listed building; constitute 'total or substantial demolition' of a structure in a Conservation Area; involve the felling of protected trees in a conservation area; or involve the erection of unauthorised advertisements.

A breach may involve:

  • Building works affecting the external appearance of the building.
  • Internal and external works to a listed building.
  • Material changes of use.
  • Non-compliance with conditions attached to planning consents.
  • The erection of advertisements.
  • Substantial demolition in a Conservation Area.
  • The felling of protected trees.

Our Planning Enforcement team investigates these breaches.

What isn't a breach of planning control?

It is important to be aware that certain works or changes of use may not require consent. Where permission is not required from the local planning authority, or where planning legislation permits the development, the council will not be able to take enforcement action. Please see our frequently asked questions for further information.

The Planning Enforcement team does not investigate:

  • Neighbour disputes.
  • Land boundaries or ownership disputes
  • Works to party walls.
  • Smells, noise and pollution.
  • Fly-tipping.
  • Use of development on highways or pavements.
  • Dangerous structures.

information about who to contact regarding these issues can also be found in the planning enforcement frequently asked questions.

Reporting an alleged breach of planning control

If you believe that a breach of planning control has occurred, you can make an enquiry to our Planning Enforcement team. Our FAQs further explain what can be done without permission and may help to give you a clearer idea as to what information will be useful to us.

Submit your enquiry by completing our Planning Enforcement Request form.

Please include as much detail as possible: the majority of successful investigations are aided by information supplied by the complainant, and you can help the council by being prepared to collect information and give evidence for appeals or prosecutions. It is for this reason that the council cannot accept anonymous enquiries.

What happens next?

If it is established that a breach of planning control has occurred, our Planning Enforcement team will attempt to negotiate an informal resolution by inviting a retrospective planning application or requesting that remedial works be carried out. If informal negotiations fail to reach a positive conclusion, the council may decide to take formal action.

Although many cases can be resolved informally, the council often has to take action, serving many notices every year, as well as instigating a variety of legal proceedings including prosecutions and injunctive relief.


Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoDevelopment Management: Town Hall, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 841571 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more