Environmental Permitting


Under the Environmental Permitting (England and Wales) Regulations, local authorities must regulate certain types of factory and other activities such as dry cleaners to reduce any pollution they may cause and, in particular, to help improve air quality.  Businesses which operate these premises must have a permit.

There are different categories of permit in England and Wales:

  • Part A(1) - Regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Part A(2) - Regulated by Local Authorities
  • Part B - Regulated by Local Authorities

Examples of activities that are regulated under Part A include:

  • producing and handling organic chemicals such as hydrocarbons, plastic materials and di-isocyanates
  • producing and handling inorganic chemicals such as ammonia, hydroxide bases, metal oxides and nitric acid
  • producing and processing chemical fertilisers and biocides
  • producing pharmaceutical products
  • producing explosives.

Examples of activities that are regulated under Part B include:

  • using some organic chemicals such as toluene di-isocyanate or methane di-isocyanate
  • bulk storage of chemicals.

The Council is required to consult the public on new applications for Environmental Permits and on any applications involving a substantial change to existing Environmental Permits.

Detailed information regarding Environmental Permitting can be found on the following websites:


Fees and Charges

Environment Agency


Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoTown Hall, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 570222 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoenquiry@ambervalley.gov.uk
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more