Smoke Control Areas

House Chimneys

Smoke Control Areas

Smoke control areas (SCAs) apply to smoke from chimneys.  In these areas it is an offence to emit smoke from a building, to obtain and use solid fuel (other than authorised fuel), sell solid fuel (other than authorised fuel) for use in premises located within an SCA. There are some exceptions, for example, where the fuel is authorised by the SCA (Authorised Fuels) Regulations, the fuel is being burnt on a fireplace exempted by an SCA (Exempted Fireplace) Order or if the building or fireplace has been exempted by conditions specified by the local authority.  If you would like to check if you are in an SCA see the 'My Property' section of AVBC's website.  Complaints of smoke in an SCA are investigated by the Pollution Section.

SCAs do not restrict bonfires, only smoke from chimneys. The 'My Property' page on this website will show if a property is in an SCA. Copies of the Smoke Control Orders can be found under the 'Related Documents' section of this page. Please note that these are copies of the original documents, where they could be found, and whilst new addresses may not be specifically mentioned, they are included in the control areas, as can be seen in the attached updated maps.

Exempt appliances and fuels that can be used in SCAs can be found via the links under the 'Related Documents' section to the right of this page.

Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoTown Hall, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 841335 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more