Opening Food Business

The Food Standards Agency has produced a booklet for new catering businesses, Starting up. This covers the main things you need to think about when you start a business, including food hygiene issues and more general requirements and is available in a range of languages

The Food Standards Agency has also produced a guidance to businesses of food hygiene.

Registration of Food Business Establishments

Food law defines what is a food business and who is a food business operator ( FBO) and places responsibilities both to register the food business with your local authority and to ensure that any food that you sell or give away, whether for profit or charity is safe for people to eat.

Regulation 178/2002 defines what is a food business and the exceptions that exist for certain low risk activities involving a small amount of organisation and continuity of the activity. The vast majority of businesses will need to register with the Council.

Those who do not need to register and are exempt are places such as charities, village halls, churches and clubs etc. that only occasionally prepare and sell food. However all food businesses must ensure the food is safe and maybe liable if the food makes someone ill.

Regulation 178/2002 also defines who the food business operator is:

Regulation 852/2004 requires the FBO to register the food business with their local authority. This should be done 28 days before the business opens. The application form is available below.

Food businesses include restaurants, cafes, hotels and guest houses, supermarkets and shops, staff canteens, home caterers, food warehouses and delivery vehicles, mobile food sellers such as burger vans, ice cream sellers and market stalls. It also includes those who prepare and/or sell food a certain venues such as weddings, parties and special events whether this is from your own home or through a business.

If you are unsure if you are a food business or not, contact the Amber Valley, Food Safety Team for further advice on 01773 841326.


Business Opportunities

If you are starting a business, the Regeneration and Growth Team at Amber Valley Borough Council support businesses of all sectors and sizes.  The team work with businesses and a variety of partners to access opportunities to help businesses survive and thrive in an ever changing economy.  If you would like more information contact the Regeneration and Growth Team by email, by telephone on 01773 841496, or click on this link


Application for the Registration of a Food Business Establishment  

This form should be completed by food business operators in respect of new food business establishments and submitted to the relevant food authority 28 days before commencing food operations.  On the basis of the activities carried out, certain food business establishments are required to be approved rather than registered.  If you are unsure whether any aspect of your food operations would require your establishment to be approved, please contact Amber Valley Borough Council for guidance. 

Registration of a Food Establishment

If the property is in the Amber Valley area please enter the postcode or the first few letters of the street. Otherwise enter the full address in the box below.


If the property is in the Amber Valley area please enter the postcode or the first few letters of the street. Otherwise enter the full address in the box below.



After this form has been submitted, food business operators must notify ANY changes to the activities stated above to the food authority and should do so within 28 days of the change(s) happening.




Contact Details
Tel: 01773 841335 Environmental Health Helpline
click for more contact details...
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Regulation Unit, Environmental Services, Town Hall, Market Place, Ripley, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 841335 Environmental Health Helpline *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more