Caravan and Camp Sites - Further Information and Model Conditions

The Caravan and Control of Development Act 1960 makes it illegal to use land for a caravan site without an appropriate a site licence issued by the local authority. Amber Valley Borough Council's housing team provides licences for touring, static holiday or residential caravan sites within the Borough. We can also help anyone who wishes to make a complaint about standards on a caravan or camp site.

Applying for a caravan site licence - Applications for a site licence are available from the page Caravan and Camp Site Licences or can be obtained from Environmental Services Housing Team, PO Box 17, Town Hall, Ripley, DE5 3TU.

If you are the new owner of an existing caravan site, you will need to apply for the licence to be transferred from the previous owner to your name. The previous owner must confirm in writing to us that they agree to do this.

Licence conditions - Caravan and camp site licences are usually issued with conditions which relate to:

  • the type of caravan site (residential, static holiday or touring);
  • the number of caravans allowed per hectare (called the permitted density);
  • the spacing between caravans;
  • water supply, drainage, lavatory and washing facilities; fire precautions and electrical installations.

If you are considering buying an existing caravan site you must make sure you are satisfied that the site complies with any conditions related to the planning consent for the site.

Exemptions - You do not need a caravan or camp site licence for the following:

  • A caravan kept within the grounds of a house. To be exempt from needing a licence, the caravan cannot be occupied separately to the house.
  • A single caravan sited in the same place for not more than two consecutive nights, up to a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Up to three caravans on a site of not less than five acres for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
  • Sites occupied by exempted organisations such as the Caravan Club. Sites of up to five caravans certified by an exempt organisation and which are for members only.
  • Sites for temporary purposes such as caravan rallies, agricultural and forestry workers, building and engineering sites and travelling salesmen.
  • A site for tents that will be used for a maximum of 28 days in any 12 months.
Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Town Hall, Market Place, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 841335 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more