Concerns about a child

If you believe that any child is in danger ring Call Derbyshire on 01629 533190 choosing the option for urgent child protection calls at any time or contact the police by ringing their call centre number 101 (24 hours).

If there are concerns about a child or young person's safety then a social worker must carry out an assessment under section 47 of the Children Act 1989 which includes seeing the child or young person.

Parents are normally asked for their consent before an assessment begins but a safeguarding assessment can take place even if parents don't agree to it.

The Derbyshire Safeguarding Children Board publishes several leaflets for parents, carers and young people that explain what will happen in more detail, these can be found on the Derbyshire County Council website at

Need further help or information?

Contact the team directly on 01773 841652 or email