Council tax

The council tax is a local tax set by local councils to help pay for local services. There is one council tax bill for each domestic dwelling, whether it is a house, bungalow, flat, maisonette, mobile home or houseboat, and whether it is owned or rented. There are around 58,000 domestic dwellings in Amber Valley.

Each dwelling is placed on a valuation list in one of eight valuation bands, ranging from A to H. The list will show only the band to which your home has been allocated, not its actual value. If you would like to find out the council tax banding of a specific property in England and Wales you may do so by visiting the Valuation Office Agency website.

Your council tax pays for the services we all rely on like roads, schools, public transport, waste disposal and libraries. But it does so much more than that - it pays for those services that few of us use. But we need them - our communities need them.

Council tax helps provide:

  • Protection for children who are at risk
  • Home and residential care for the elderly
  • Special education for children with learning difficulties
  • Support for elderly, vulnerable and disabled people

So if you think you get little for your council tax - think again. Even if you don't need every service we provide - someone in your family or living near to you does, and you might need them too at some point in your life.

Popular pages within council tax

Need further help or information?

Contact the team directly on 01773 841440 or email