FAQ Icon

I have seen an empty property I would like to buy how can I find out who the owner is?

The Land Registry may have the details of the current owner. You can find these at www.landregistry.gov.uk

Can the Council let my property for me?

The Council can arrange for potential tenants to be referred to you for your consideration. We can also put you in contact with a partner who can lease your property for 5 years and take care of all property and tenancy management responsibilities throughout his time. You will also be paid a guaranteed monthly income throughout this time. The income received is assessed on an individual property basis.


Does the Council give any grants to help renovate empty properties?

The Council no longer offers grants from its own resources but from time to time we can help you access grants or loans or reduced-cost energy efficiency measures. Contact the Empty Property Officer on 01773 841340 to see what is currently available.

How do I report an empty property?

Contact the Council's Empty Property Officer on 01773 841340.

Can I get help to adapt my home for my partner who has a disability?

The Council provides means tested Disabled Facilities Grants to provide major adaptations to your home for the benefit of disabled persons.


I have a problem with my private rented landlord, what should I do?

Depending on what your problem is, then we might be able to help.  View our " Problems with your Rented Home" page where you will find a more detailed FAQ.

What do I do if I have a housing problem that could leave me homeless?

If you need some advice or help because you have a housing problem and are at risk of homelessness, contact the Housing Solutions Team on 01773 841400 or email them at housing.solutions@ambervalley.gov.uk.

You will be given and asked to fill in a Housing Help Preparation Pack, which will help you to think about what help you need to resolve your housing problem, as well as what steps the Council may take to assist you. You will be offered a Housing Solutions Interview, you can choose whether this is in person at Ripley Town Hall or if you would prefer you can be interviewed over the phone.

A Housing Solutions Officer will work with you to develop a plan of steps that you need to take and that they will take to prevent you from losing your current home, or if this is not possible, to help you to find an alternative option. They will assess the support needs of you and your family, and may try to help you to access services that could reduce the chance of you becoming homeless.

Depending on your current situation, a Housing Solutions Officer could work with you for some time to help you to prevent or relieve your homelessness. If your housing problem has not been resolved after the statutory period has passed (this could be up to 56 days before you have lost your accommodation and a further 56 days after you have legally lost your permanent home) a formal assessment will be made of your circumstances to decide whether a duty to permanently accommodate you is owed by the Council. This will also assess whether you are in priority need for accommodation (such as whether your household includes dependent children), if you have done anything or failed to do anything which has led to your homelessness ( such as deliberately failed to pay your rent) and if you have a local connection to Amber Valley.

If you are homeless due to an emergency situation outside of office hours (after 5pm) or at the weekend or bank holidays, please telephone Call Derbyshire for advice and assistance on 08456 058058 or 01629 532600.

How do I apply for social housing?

Most social rented housing is accessed through Home-Options, the Choice Based Lettings scheme for the Amber Valley area.

Social landlords advertise their available properties on the Home Options website. You can then search for a property that meets your needs, in a place where you want to live.

Properties are let in order of the priority banding given to a household based on their circumstances and then by longest time spent in that band. All properties are let according to the allocations policy.

How do I apply?

The easiest way to apply is by using the online application form, this will take around 20-25 minutes to complete. However if you are unable to do this please call 01773 841400 to discuss other options. Before you start your application, you will need:

  • your National Insurance number
  • details of your address(es) over the past five years
  • a phone number or email address

Please provide as much information as possible, and send in any requested documents promptly so that your application can be dealt with quickly. When we have all the information we need from you, we will write to you to let you know your application is 'live', and what priority banding you have been given.

You can find out more information about applying on the Home-Options website or by contacting 01773 841400.

What do I do if I am homeless in an emergency on an evening, weekend or bank holiday?

If you are homeless due to an emergency situation outside of office hours (after 5pm) or at the weekend or bank holidays, please telephone Call Derbyshire for advice and assistance on 08456 058058 or 01629 532600.




Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Town Hall, Market Place, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 841335 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoeh.housing@ambervalley.gov.uk
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more