Social rented housing

Most social rented housing is accessed through Home-Options, the choice based lettings scheme for the Amber Valley area. 

Social landlords advertise their available properties on the Home Options website You can then search for a property that meets your needs, in a place where you want to live.

Properties are let in order of the priority banding given to a household based on their circumstances and then by longest time spent in that band. All properties are let according to the allocations policy.

How do I apply?

The easiest way to apply is by using the online application form, this will take around 20-25 minutes to complete. However if you are unable to do this please call 01773 841372 to discuss other options.  

Before you start your application, you will need:

  • your national insurance number
  • details of your address(es) over the past five years
  • a phone number or email address

Please provide as much information as possible, and send in any requested documents promptly so that your application can be dealt with quickly. When we have all the information we need from you, we will write to you to let you know your application is 'live', and what priority banding you have been given.

You can find out more information about applying at

How does it work?

If you are interested in an available property which is being advertised for let, you can place a 'bid' on the property. Properties can be advertised from any day of the week, and are available to have bids placed on them for at least 7 days. The property is normally offered to the person who has bid on it who is in the highest priority band, or who has been in that band for the longest time if there is more than one person. You can only bid on 3 properties at one time and you should only bid on properties that meet your needs and that you would like to live in.

Please note that you will not be considered for any property unless you actively place a bid for it.  If you do not wish to use the internet to place bids, you can also place bids by telephone on 01773 841372.

Mutual exchanges

Mutual exchange provides local authority and housing association tenants with an alternative way of finding a new home. You advertise your property, and then search for properties that meet your needs.

You can register your interest in mutual exchange at

Complaints about your property

In the first instance you should contact your landlord to arrange repairs. If you are not happy with their response, then you should use the landlord's complaint procedure to resolve the issue.

Other providers of social housing

The majority of social housing in Amber Valley is allocated through the Home-Options choice based lettings process, including all the properties owned and managed by Futures Housing Group, the largest provider of social/affordable housing within the borough. Some registered housing providers also let a percentage of their vacancies through their own allocations process and they include:

Need further help or information?

Contact the team directly on 01773 841372 or email

Pages in Social rented housing Shared ownership