Health and Safety

Health and Safety

Safer Workplace - Better Business

Advice and guidance in health and safety at work is available from officers from the Regulation Team.

Complying with health and safety law can be difficult, especially for small businesses that may not have the necessary expertise in-house. The Safer Workplace, Better Business pack aims to help small businesses comply.

Based around the principles of the nationally recognised "Safer Food Better Business" pack produced by the Food Standards Agency to assist small catering businesses to meet European food hygiene requirements. The SWBB pack is similar, but aims to ensure that small businesses comply with requirements of current Health and Safety standards. Each section explains the employers duties, the actions required, and allows the employer to document policies, controls and procedures they implement within their business. Once completed the pack will enable the business to identify key hazards in their workplace, introduce suitable control measures and have a documented system available for inspection by enforcement officers.

The pack is available to download from the Torbay Council website by clicking here.

Health & Safety Complaint about a Business

Contact us if you think a business is not operating safely so we can investigate it. You can call us directly on 01773 841335 or complete our online reporting form.

We will investigate complaints about:

  • offices (except government offices)
  • shops
  • hotels
  • restaurants
  • leisure premises
  • nurseries and playgroups
  • pubs and clubs
  • museums (privately owned)
  • places of worship
  • sheltered accommodation and care homes 




Contact Details
Rate This Page

Thank you for rating our page as .

Your feedback is very important as it enables us to continually improve our site to meet your needs.

Please give a brief explanation of why you considered this page to be  and click on the submit button below to confirm your rating.

+ Additional Contact details (optional)

If you have a general comment or complaint about the Council's services, please visit our comments or complaints page.
rate page as good  rate page as average  rate page as poor 

Do you need further information?

If for some reason you are unable to find the information which you require on our website, you can contact us by the following methods.

address logoAmber Valley Borough Council, Town Hall, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT
address logo01773 841335 *Calls are recorded for quality and training purposes
address logoComplete our online enquiry form
address logoText the word COUNCIL followed by your message to 60060 *Standard network rates apply
This site uses simple text files called 'cookies' to collect statistics about the number of people using the website, but they don't tell us who you are. Cookies help us keep the site relevant and up-to-date. By continuing to browse the site you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more