Local authorities have no legal obligation to provide assistance during flooding situations; it is the home owner's responsibility to protect their own property.  However, Amber Valley Borough Council would like to remind residents of the necessary steps they can take in order to cope with and be prepared for flooding and the assistance the Council and other organisations can give.

Being prepared

Prepare: The most important thing is to prepare now. Don't wait until flooding looks likely as you won’t have time to respond.

Protecting your property: You can find details of flood protection equipment from National Flood Forum Blue Pages.

  • If you are unable to access sandbags in the event of a flood, you can create your own by filling a pillow case with soil.
  • Switch-off electric and gas supplies.
  • Move important items to safety.

Staying up-to-date:

Are you at risk? Find out if your property is deemed at risk of flooding by calling Floodline on 0345 988 1188 or visit the Environment Agency website and entering your postcode to see the risk of flooding in your area.

Report: If local roadside drains or culvert screens appear blocked, please report this to the Derbyshire County Council highways department.

Sandbags: Sandbags are available from builders’ merchants. Other protection systems are available commercially, see the National Flood Forum Blue Pages for guidance.

Residents of Amber Valley may obtain a supply of 10 free empty sandbags and guidance literature from the Ripley office.

The council recognises that many residents look to the council for emergency assistance in times of crisis, therefore aims to provide a limited number of free filled sandbags where there is an immediate risk of flooding. This is in line with the Derbyshire wide sandbag policy and is based on an assessment of risk. The assessment will consider:

  • Whether the property has been flooded before
  • The source of the potential flood
  • How far the water is from the residential property
  • Known vulnerable properties.

This service is subject to the availability of staff out of hours, please call 01773 841414 out of hours.

Responding to flooding: When flood alerts or severe weather warnings are issued, residents living in areas deemed at risk of flooding can call Amber Valley Borough Council to request free filled sandbags, however these will only be issued in line with the agreed sandbag policy. In emergency situations no guarantees can be made in terms of how soon sandbags can be sent out as staff may need to be called in (especially out of office hours) to fill sandbags. This is a very heavy, time-consuming job and dependent upon flooded road conditions detours may need to be taken to deliver the bags. Only small numbers of sandbags are stored already filled as the bags will rot if stored full. As such it is strongly advised you equip yourself with sandbags before any risk of flooding arises.

Need further help or information?

Contact the team directly on 01773 570222 or email enquiry@ambervalley.gov.uk