Insurance claims

The council has insurance cover for its activities and land holdings. If you encounter a problem and believe that the council has been negligent it may be possible for you to make a claim against the council.

The legal team cannot give advice on the merits of any claim, nor on the likelihood of a claim being successful. If you are not sure of your rights you should seek independent legal advice.

If you have been injured or suffered a loss and it is the fault of the council it may be possible for you to make a claim.

All claims must be made in writing and should be sent as soon as possible after the incident to the legal section, Amber Valley Borough Council, town hall, Ripley, Derbyshire, DE5 3BT.

There is no set form for you to make a claim but it will be useful if your letter could contain as much of the following information as possible:

  • full name
  • full address
  • contact telephone number and/or email address
  • date and time of the incident
  • description of the circumstances of the incident
  • details of any injury, the amount of any loss or the total value of the claim
  • a location plan or sketch showing the location of the incident
  • photographs
  • names and addresses of any witnesses
  • details of any conversations you have had with any council employees following the incident
Need further help or information?

Contact the team directly on 01773 570222 or email