With Coronavirus (COVID-19) now affecting many areas of our services to the residents and businesses of Amber Valley, we are keen to keep you right up-to-date with the changes we are being forced to make. Read more about your council services.
Welcome to Riddings Park, a beautiful piece of parkland covering over 12 hectares providing a variety of recreational facilities.
Click on the links below to read more.
The park has open access and is available to the public 365 days a year.
This park dates back to the 12th century and has changed significantly in this time. In 1800 Derby iron founders Thomas Saxelby, James Oakes and Forrester opened the Riddings Iron Works. Oakes became sole owner of the Iron Works in 1818.
The Oakes family contributed extensively to the fabric of the village and provided a cricket ground on the parkland free of charge for Riddings Cricket Club. Riddings Cricket Club was formed in 1847, and as far as records show is probably the oldest cricket club in Derbyshire.
The land had restricted access and local people were not allowed upon it without permission of the Oakes family, which meant it was respected by the local population. There was also a rule that no one, even those playing for the club, were not allowed on the land on a Sunday.
The Oakes family remained owners of ‘The Park’ and surrounding area including the pavilion until around 1980 when they sold the land to Amber Valley Borough Council for a nominal fee on the proviso that the land would remain as sports facilities.
Under the ownership of the Borough Council the park is still the home ground for Riddings Cricket Club. Refurbishment works started in 2010 with the implementation of a BMX track, additional items of play equipment, a multi user games area, access improvements, tree works and improved lighting and fencing.
Play equipment - there are two play areas to serve both sides of the park, one is located off West Street and the other off Shaw Street. The play equipment is aimed at children up to 12 years of age. The play area of West Street has been extended to integrate children with disabilities.
Football / changing facilities – football and changing facilities are available with three football pitches two full sized and one junior pitch. The changing rooms off Shaw Street are small and functional.
Cricket pitch / pavilion – cricket pitch and pavilion are available. Within the pavilion there is a social area containing a kitchen, bar, changing rooms and storage
Multi-user games area (MUGA) – this was installed in 2010 and is free to use.
BMX track – installed with advice from a local BMX professional, this is well used and very popular and free to use.
Community centre – this is privately owned and is located in the main car park off West Street.
Horse field – for many years this has been used to hold the local Gymkhana organised by Ripley Riders, it has stands of trees which retain the parkland setting.
There are three entrances to the park from West Street, Shaw Street and Parkside.
Ripley Riders Club Horse Show
Members horse show – please come along and enjoy the show, food and drink available.
Saturday: July 4
Sundays: July 5 and 26; September 13.
All 8:30am until 5:00pm.
The park is owned by Amber Valley Borough Council and is managed by the landscape services department.
There is an active sports group which consists of the cricket club and junior football team, they carry out maintenance of the cricket square, pavilion and junior football pitch.
The borough council are always keen to promote positive use of the site and a good park users guide is visible at all entrances to the park.
Contact the team directly on 01773 841335 or email firstname.lastname@example.org