Information for landlords

We provide information and advice to landlords on a variety of subjects, please use the following links to find out more.

Non-statutory guidance for landlords, tenants and local authorities in the private and social rented sectors relating to Coronavirus (COVID-19) can be viewed at

Calling all landlords - are you considering giving notice to your tenants?

If so, please contact call B4 you serve for help with: 

  • Rent arrears
  • Mediation
  • Communication issues
  • Help and advice
  • Leasing your property

Find out more.

Minimum EPC requirements in the private rented sector

The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015 are designed to tackle the least energy efficient properties in England and Wales – those rated F or G on their Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). The regulations establish a minimum standard for both domestic and non-domestic privately rented property, affecting new tenancies from 1 April 2018.

Guidance is available at and you can also view our EPC enforcement policy.

A how to rent guide has been developed by the government. Remember that many landlords may not be familiar with the rules that they need to follow.

The private rented housing plan sets out the council's strategic approach to working with private landlords and ensuring good standards of accommodation.

The private rented sector provides a preferred housing option for many households. The wide choice of property types and their locations makes this sector desirable for many people. The council, through its housing team, is responsible for addressing housing conditions. We achieve this in the private rented sector by responding to service requests from both tenants and landlords. Our officers make judgements about house conditions based on the housing health and safety rating system and will make enforcement decisions based on the seriousness of the hazards identified.

We provide advice and support to property owners and agents that want to ensure that their properties meet minimum standards. We receive approximately 200 service requests per year and this ranges from basic advice to situations where tenants lives are being put at risk. Where possible we will seek to work with the owner to bring a property up to standard, but if an agent or landlord knowingly rent a property that puts the tenants at risk then we will serve appropriate enforcement notices. The council currently charges £350.00 for every enforcement notice served. We have an enforcement policy to which we work.

The council has decided to increase the options available to recover the costs associated with enforcement. It has approved a rent repayment orders and civil penalties policy under the Housing and Planning Act 2016. This policy sets out a framework for enforcement decisions and will be useful for tenants, landlords, agents and their advocates.

Supplementary to the council’s overarching enforcement policy the housing team have an enforcement policy that sets out the approach to enforcement of housing standards and a range of related functions. This document sets out the decision making processes made by the council’s officers and may be of use to landlords, agents, tenants and their advocates.

New (2020) regulations require landlords to have the electrical installations in their properties inspected and tested by a person who is qualified and competent, at least every 5 years. Landlords must provide a copy of the electrical safety report to their tenants, and to their local authority if requested.

This means that all landlords now must:

  • Ensure the electrical installations in their rented properties are inspected and tested by a qualified and competent person at least every 5 years.
  • Obtain a report from the person conducting the inspection and test which gives the results and sets a date for the next inspection and test.
  • Supply a copy of this report to the existing tenant within 28 days of the inspection and test.
  • Supply a copy of this report to a new tenant before they occupy the premises.
  • Supply a copy of this report to any prospective tenant within 28 days of receiving a request for the report.
  • Supply the local authority with a copy of this report within 7 days of receiving a request for a copy.
  • Retain a copy of the report to give to the inspector and tester who will undertake the next inspection and test.
  • Where the report shows that remedial or further investigative work is necessary, complete this work within 28 days or any shorter period if specified as necessary in the report.
  • Supply written confirmation of the completion of the remedial works from the electrician to the tenant and the local authority within 28 days of completion of the works.

Further information can be found at 

Amber Valley Borough Council invites landlords to join the DASH landlord accreditation scheme

The council has worked in partnership with DASH (decent and safe homes) Services since 2005 and the landlord accreditation (formally known as EMLAS) is a region-wide scheme that encourages and rewards good property standards and management practice in the private rented sector.

You can find out more by visiting

We are working hard to help landlords and tenants to access funding to make it easier to keep warm. At present we do not have any plans for another landlord forum, however if you would like to be kept informed about any upcoming events then please provide us with your details below.

Register for future landlord forums

Your details


The data submitted via this form will be processed and stored electronically by the council.

In compliance with the General Data Protection Regulation we would inform you that:

  • The legal basis for processing this data is Article 6 (1)(a) of the General Data Protection Regulation.
  • All data will be deleted in accordance with the councils data retention policy.
  • We will not pass your personal data on to anyone else unless the laws allows us to do so.
  • You have the right to see the personal data we hold about you; if you think it is wrong you can ask us to put it right; if you think that we have no legal grounds for retaining the information you have the right to ask for it to be erased; if there is a query on the accuracy of the data you have the right to ask us to stop processing your information.
  • The council’s data protection officer can be contacted on 01773 570222 or
  • If you are unhappy with how the council deals with your personal information you may wish to contact the Information Commissioner. Telephone 0303 123 1113 or email; Website -


On 1st February 2016, right to rent went live across England. This means all private landlords, including anyone subletting or taking in lodgers, need to carry out quick and simple checks on all new tenants to make sure they have the right to rent property in the country.

The roll out of right to rent has been informed by input from a panel of experts from trade bodies, local authorities, and housing charities and the Equality and Human Rights Commission and backed up by stakeholder events with landlords and agents.

Landlords need to check identity documents for all new tenants and take copies. A wide range of documents can be used for the checks, and the government has worked closely with housing and homelessness charities to design a document list which can accommodate different individual circumstances. This includes where people do not have traditional identity documents such as a passport.

There are resources available to help landlords comply with the new rules, including an online checking aid which landlords can use to guide them through the process and to request a check on anyone who has an outstanding case with the Home Office.

For more information about making the checks go to

Private sector landlords will be required from 1 October 2015 to ensure that at least one smoke alarm is installed on every storey of their rented property and that a carbon monoxide alarm is installed in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance. They also require landlords to ensure that such alarms are in proper working order at the start of each new tenancy.

The requirement will be enforced by Amber Valley Borough Council. Interested parties wanting to know the detail should read The Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015 which can be found at

Amber Valley Borough Council works closely with the Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service on the identification of vulnerable people and offers home safety checks. Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service may be able to provide free smoke and carbon monoxide detectors but this cannot be guaranteed.

Amber Valley Borough Council is required to issue a remedial notice where they have reasonable grounds to believe a landlord has not complied with one or more of the requirements. The landlord must comply with the notice within 28 days. If they do not, Amber Valley Borough Council must carry out the remedial action (where the occupier consents) to ensure the requirements in the regulations are met and can issue a civil penalty of up to £5,000.

Amber Valley Borough Council has consulted on the policy and it has been agreed that for a first offence the penalty will be £2500 and for second and subsequent offences the penalty shall be £5,000. To find out more, please read our draft statement of principles for determining financial penalties policy.

Separate general guidance for landlords on the requirement of the regulations is available at:

Landlords need to be aware that this legislation does not replace requirements under the Housing Act 2004 and battery operated smoke detection is only suitable as a temporary measure. Whilst fire and smoke detection are important ensuring a safe means of escape is also really important. It is also important that landlords risk assess their property and also take a view on the likelihood of the tenant interfering with the alarm.

To support the enforcement the government has provided the following booklet:

The Housing Act 2004 included new arrangements for the protection of all rent deposits paid to landlords at the start of the tenancy. This affected all new tenancies that began after 6th April 2007. There are three schemes that can be used:

  1. The Deposit Protection Service (DPS), a custodial scheme, which means the landlord pays the tenant's deposit into the scheme.  It is free to use and funded entirely from the interest earned on deposits held.  For more information visit or call 0870 707 1707.
  2. Tenancy Deposit Solutions Ltd (TDSL), an insurance based scheme where the landlord keeps the deposit and pays a premium to the insurer. TDSL is a partnership between the National Landlords' Association and Hamilton Fraser Insurance.  For more information visit or call 0871 703 0552.
  3. The Tenancy Deposit Scheme (TDS), another insurance based scheme, where the landlord keeps the deposit and pays a premium to the insurer.  The scheme builds on a service established in 2003 to provide dispute resolution and complaints handling for the lettings industry.  For more information visit or call 0845 226 7837.

The council has adopted a policy to enforce the parts of the Tenant Fees Act that is it has been given powers to do. This new legislation places specific restrictions on the charges that can be levied by both agents and landlords. Some parts are enforced by Derbyshire County Council Trading Standards and some elements by both organisations. The council is committed to working with the county council and sharing intelligence to stop unfair practices.

A policy has been approved by cabinet setting out the way that the legislation is applied. View the enforcement policy in relation to the Tenant Fees Act.

The council will be happy to answer any questions about uncertainties that landlords have or we would encourage landlords to secure advice from landlord membership organisations.

Need further help or information?

Contact the team directly on 01773 841335 or email