Environmental permitting

Under the environmental permitting (England and Wales) regulations, local authorities must regulate certain types of factory and other activities such as dry cleaners to reduce any pollution they may cause and, in particular, to help improve air quality.  Businesses which operate these premises must have a permit.

There are different categories of permit in England and Wales:

  • Part A(1) - Regulated by the Environment Agency
  • Part A(2) - Regulated by local authorities
  • Part B - Regulated by local authorities

Examples of activities that are regulated under Part A include:

  • producing and handling organic chemicals such as hydrocarbons, plastic materials and di-isocyanates
  • producing and handling inorganic chemicals such as ammonia, hydroxide bases, metal oxides and nitric acid
  • producing and processing chemical fertilisers and biocides
  • producing pharmaceutical products
  • producing explosives.

Examples of activities that are regulated under Part B include:

  • using some organic chemicals such as toluene di-isocyanate or methane di-isocyanate
  • bulk storage of chemicals.

The council is required to consult the public on new applications for environmental permits and on any applications involving a substantial change to existing environmental permits.

Detailed information regarding environmental permitting can be found on the following websites:

Need further help or information?

Contact the team directly on 01773 841335 or email envadmin@ambervalley.gov.uk

Pages in Environmental permitting Apply for an environmental permit