How to claim housing benefit

If you are working age and require help towards your rent you may need to claim universal credit rather than housing benefit. To check which you need to claim please see

The online application form is for new claims only, please see our change of address or change in circumstances to let us know of these changes.

Apply online

You can complete your housing benefit claim online - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

apply online link

Complete the form in your own time and at your own pace. The online form will ask only the questions relevant to your circumstances and tell you if you need to provide any further information.

You can save the form at any point and return to it later, just ensure that you keep a record of the claim ID and password to access it again, as we will not be able to get these for you.

Other ways to apply

You can contact the benefits and revenues customer services section for a claim form to be sent to you or if you prefer we can complete the claim form with you over the telephone or in person at our office in Ripley. 

You can download the housing benefit claim form or collect one from our office in Ripley.

Further housing benefit and council tax support forms are available to download individually.

Alternatively, if you cannot make a claim online call us on 01773 841470 and a customer services advisor will talk you through the other options for making a claim. 

Need further help or information?

Contact the team directly on 01773 841470 or email